In this episode, Alay and Christopher discuss:
- Marketing as an investment.
- Media as a way to grow your firm (and get instant credibility).
- Being persistent in working with the media.
- The importance of building relationships with specific reporters.
- Other lawyers can be your best referral sources – consider the events you go to, the events you speak at, and where you are getting your best hand-to-hand marketing done.
- “Maybe one day” isn’t an answer. You can do it now! Stop holding yourself back.
- Journalists are always writing multiple stories each day. Even if they don’t like your pitch, they may need you for something else.
- Presenting for the media will help you to be more professional in court as well, based on gestures, language, and other ways that you present yourself.
- “Every moment that we spend on marketing and business development is a moment that you can’t spend billing and, more importantly, are moments that you can’t spend with your family, friends, or doing a hobby.” — Christopher Melcher
- “Time is your most precious asset. You can’t get more of it, you can’t save it up, and it just goes. With that in mind, marketing is an investment. It’s an investment of time, it’s an investment of money, and you need to get a return on that investment.” — Alay Yajnik
- “Start as local as possible – don’t go to the big national news outlets just because they get a lot of attention.” — Christopher Melcher
- “The social proof element is huge, particularly if you’ve built up a half dozen or more interviews or articles.” — Alay Yajnik
About Christopher Melcher:
Business owners, celebrities, and trust beneficiaries across California turn to Christopher Melcher for assistance protecting their most valuable assets in high stakes divorces. With deep experience in complex family law litigation and premarital agreements, he provides tactical representation in the most challenging family law disputes.
He understands the need to keep sensitive family matters private, having represented noteworthy clients in the largest divorce cases in California. Clients include A-list celebrities, executives, and tech company founders. He is frequently hired by other family lawyers as a consultant, expert, or co-counsel on significant divorce cases in California.
His passion is helping others and he loves the law. His father was a trial lawyer and heI learned not only how to be a lawyer from him, but what it means to be a lawyer.
He has presented about 200 continuing legal education programs to other attorneys on complex family law issues and is a published author in California premarital agreements and financial issues in divorce. He also wrote the only treatise on California premarital agreement law, published by LexisNexis.
He is an adjunct professor of family law at Pepperdine University School of Law in Malibu. Before entering family law exclusively, he practiced criminal defense and civil personal injury litigation.
Connect with Christopher Melcher:
Connect with Alay Yajnik:
One Page Strategic Plan: LawFirmSuccessGroup.com