In this episode, Alay and Scott discuss:
- Why rainmakers may be looking to leave their current firm.
- What firms are actually looking for when bringing on a partner or rainmaker.
- Finding connection points between the firm and the recruited partner.
- Using story to define your culture and show who you are, not adjectives.
- Lateral partner recruiting is the most effective form of client development.
- The fit of your clients at the new firm is an important and key element to deciding to move firms, as a partner.
- Keep a long-game perspective both as a recruit and as a firm doing the recruiting. It is about more than just the highest amount of money in the shortest time.
- While money is not the most important seeking point for most partners looking to do a lateral move, you do still want to be competitive in your offers.
- “Even though you have authority, you have to earn trust.” — Scott Love
- “Partners want to feel safe when they move to another firm, they want to know, with certainty, that the likelihood is exceptionally high that it’s going to work out.” — Scott Love
- “At that level, partners are already doing quite well financially. There are other things that factor in and could be more important, such as where they’re based and quality of life, they can have the kinds of clients they want to work with, how they can grow their practice area, and how they can grow their product.” — Alay Yajnik
About Scott Love:
Scott Love is the founder of The Attorney Search Group, a legal recruiting firm that recruits rainmaking partners for global law firms and also facilitates law firm mergers. His clients include Reed Smith, Holland and Knight, Faegre Drinker, McGuire Woods, Fragomen, and dozens more. Scott is also the producer of The Rainmaking Podcast, co-author of Rainmaker Confidential, and is a popular speaker at legal and corporate meetings on the topics of client development and recruiting. He has been quoted in The American Lawyer, Bloomberg, Law360, Above the Law, Forbes, The Wall Street Journal, and other major business publications. Scott is a graduate of the United States Naval Academy, is a former Surface Warfare Officer, and has been in the recruiting industry since 1995.
Connect with Scott Love:
Connect with Alay Yajnik:
One Page Strategic Plan: LawFirmSuccessGroup.com