In this episode, Alay and Aashi discuss:
- What imposter syndrome is and how it tends to appear in attorneys.
- Difference between imposter syndrome and lack of self-confidence.
- Personal and professional consequences of imposter syndrome in lawyers.
- Recognizing and overcoming imposter syndrome.
- Due to the hard work and competition needed to get into then through law school, it is not a surprise that many lawyers experience imposter syndrome.
- If an attorney is feeling recurring feelings of imposter syndrome, it is not uncommon for them to self-sabotage in different, subtle ways throughout their career.
- Disruptive behaviors are often masking feelings of imposter syndrome.
- You don’t need a test to understand your strengths – identify what you do well, speak with others, and recognize the wins within your life and career.
- “Impostor syndrome is a series of recurrent feelings and behaviors associated with one’s belief that they are not as qualified, as accomplished, or as competent as others may believe that they are.” — Aashi Arora
- “Sometimes imposter syndrome gets seen as narcissism because there’s so much insecurity about being found out as an imposter or that feeling of impostorism, that a person goes the complete opposite and their behavior is very disruptive.” — Aashi Arora
- “We hear a lot of studies about lack of engagement in the workplace, especially from generation to generation. And a lot of those symptoms are very, very similar to imposter syndrome that you’re mentioning here today.” — Alay Yajnik
- “Learn about strengths. You need that more positive voice, inside and externally, to say, ‘No, no, here’s what’s actually happening.’ And validate what your logical mind, your rational mind knows to be true.” — Aashi Arora
About Aashi Arora:
Aashi Arora coaches professionals to RISE in leadership through overcoming their imposter syndrome. She brings to her clients her 20+ years of executive experience in the corporate and public sectors. Aashi provides strengths-based coaching through an individualized program for her individual and team clients designed to enhance management acumen, self-awareness, and emotional intelligence.
Connect with Aashi Arora:
Connect with Alay Yajnik:
One Page Strategic Plan: LawFirmSuccessGroup.com