In this episode, Alay and Miranda discuss:
- The flexibility and freedom that comes with running your firm as a business.
- A day in the life of Miranda as the founder and owner of Unlock Legal.
- How to grow a great team.
- Learning to run a business even when you don’t feel skilled at it.
- Many lawyers don’t run their firms like businesses because it was not how they were trained and it is not part of their mindset.
- Invest in the people that you have to help you run your firm.
- If you’re thinking you can’t afford to hire an associate or an assistant, what you don’t know is that you can’t afford NOT to hire that individual.
- You don’t need to be a corporate manager superstar. There are no secrets. You do need to work on yourself, have patience, and do what you need to do to make your team better.
- “As lawyers were trained to have a win-lose mindset. When you’re a business owner, you have to have a win-win mindset with your employees; you have to learn to listen and care about their opinions.” — Miranda McCroskey
- “You don’t need to be a corporate manager superstar. There are no secrets. There’s no magic wand….What you do need to do is continue to work on yourself, have some patience, and invest and do what you have to do…to make your team better.” — Alay Yajnik
- “Get help, you can’t do it alone. We weren’t trained for it; we have a degree in something that’s totally distinct from running a business. Get help from someone who has a different skill set and different mindset than you do.” — Miranda McCroskey
- “One of the more challenging things to do is to just not say anything during a meeting and let your team take that ball, especially when they’re not…going the direction that you would go…. And, it’s funny…everything turns out okay.” — Alay Yajnik
Connect with Miranda:
Connect with Alay Yajnik: