Get Staffed Up offers virtual assistant services exclusively for law firms. Get $500 off your setup fee at https://getstaffedup.com/lawyerbusinessadvantage/
In this episode, Alay and Zachary discuss:
- Being known, being likable, and being willing to ask for and accept help.
- Finding the time for business development.
- Learning how to ask for help and be willing to help others.
- Creative marketing to build your book.
- There are more ways to support other lawyers than just passing work to them.
- You can be pursue business development in different aspects and areas of your life that aren’t necessarily traditional business development areas where you would expect them.
- The smart people are the ones who ask for help and get value in doing so.
- It feels good to help others, and others feel good when they help us.
- “It’s not enough to just do the work as an attorney, there are other components that go into business development.” — Zachary Young
- “To be known, you have to get out there, get involved in activities and in the community.” — Alay Yajnik
- “At some point, over the course of your career, you have to evolve from that attorney who works all the time. Otherwise, that’s what you’re going to be stuck doing throughout the entirety of your career.” — Zachary Young
- “People like to help. Remember how good you feel when you’re able to help somebody. Now you’re giving that opportunity to somebody else, putting them in a position to help you, they will feel great if they’re able to help you out.” — Alay Yajnik
About Zachary Young:
Zachary is a partner of Patton Sullivan Brodehl LLP and an experienced trial and appellate attorney. His practice focuses on complex business and real estate litigation, often involving high stakes (a million dollars or more at issue). He represents individuals and business entities, and example cases include disputes among real estate investors, disputes among LLC managers/members or partners, and commercial lease disputes.
Zachary has been recognized by Super Lawyer Magazine as one of Northern California’s “Rising Stars” for 5 years running, from 2017-2021. He has also earned Martindale-Hubbell’s “AV Preeminent” designation, which is the highest peer rating standard available. Attorneys cannot pay to obtain or influence these honors.
In addition to his practice, Zachary makes it a priority to give back to his community, particularly to the next generation of attorneys. Since 2014, Zachary has served part-time at UC Hastings, College of the Law, in a variety of roles, including as an adjunct professor teaching first year Legal Writing & Analysis and Moot Court, and also as a coach of the school’s very successful moot court teams. During that time, none of Zachary’s moot court teams has ever finished lower than quarterfinalists in any national competition.
Connect with Zachary Young:
Money & Dirt Blog: https://moneyanddirt.com/
The LLC Jungle Blog: https://thellcjungle.com/
Lawyer Business Advantage Episode with Kevin Brodehl: https://www.lawfirmsuccessgroup.com/blog-based-marketing-with-kevin-brodehl/
Connect with Alay Yajnik:
One Page Strategic Plan: LawFirmSuccessGroup.com