In this episode, Alay and Leslee discuss:
- Building a book of business as a woman.
- Taking steps forward, even when you aren’t 100% sure.
- Challenges in scaling your firm.
- Identifying your “north star”: the law firm you want to create.
- Find a way to explain what you do in a way that others can easily understand.
- Be authentic. It may take time for you to find your groove and the message you want to portray, but be yourself.
- A great source of referrals can be from other law firms. Focus on your wheelhouse.
- You need to know what you want for you, not just what you want for your business. Then build your business to support the lifestyle you want.
“I had to go back and figure out what made me unique in the marketplace.” — Leslee Cohen
“The most difficult challenges to overcome are those that are within yourself.” — Alay Yajnik
“The challenges are all within you. It’s about mindset, it’s about confidence, it’s about willingness to take a little risk.” — Alay Yajnik
“It’s about delegating and hiring the right people.” — Leslee Cohen
About Leslee Cohen:
Leslee concentrates her transactional practice in securities law, corporate finance and general corporate law. She counsels a variety of entities, from small entrepreneurs and start-up companies to large established businesses, across many industries from real estate to technology in connection with private placements of both equity and debt securities, including venture capital, private equity and “friends and family” investments.
She also handles general corporate matters including commercial contract drafting and review, stockholder and limited liability company agreements and structuring, business restructurings, employment and consulting agreements, and equity incentive plans and agreements, on behalf of a diverse group of clients. Leslee also structures, negotiates and documents significant business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, tender offers, joint ventures and other business combinations and financial transactions.
Leslee received her JD from New York University School of Law in 1992 and her BA from the University of Michigan in 1989 (GO BLUE!).
Connect with Leslee Cohen:
Connect with Alay Yajnik:
One Page Strategic Plan: LawFirmSuccessGroup.com