In this episode, Alay and Steve discuss:
- Why Alay originally started focusing on attorneys in his coaching practice.
- Alay’s book, Staffing Up: The Attorney’s Guide to Hiring Top Talent.
- Hiring at the right time for the right role.
- Time management and investing your time wisely.
- The changing future of legal and coaching.
- If you run your law firm as a business, you have the opportunity to avoid many of the pitfalls that so many other lawyers face.
- The scariest hire is the first hire, but you don’t want to wait too long to make the hire either.
- You do get what you pay for when you are hiring. It does pay to hire for experience, not just hiring cheap.
- You want to build your firm to fit your life and family, not let it dictate your life.
- “If they run the law from like a really good business, they’ll be making good money, they don’t have to work crazy hours, they can take real vacations, they can enjoy their clients.” — Alay Yajnik
- “The number one mistake attorneys make when they hire is they hire too late. Especially with the small law firms, the attorneys wait until they’re super busy and they have to hire someone because they can’t handle the workload…Oftentimes, it ends up being a desperation hire, and then a desperation fire. That’s the situation we want to avoid.” — Alay Yajnik
- “Time is your most precious asset. You can’t get more of it. It’s perishable. You can’t save it up. Here’s the good news – everyone has the same amount of time.” — Alay Yajnik
- “The good news is that it’s never been easier to find people to delegate to. Today, there’s all these virtual assistants and options for people that can take the little things off your plate, go through your email, help you with your social media, etc.” — Steve Fretzin
About Steve Fretzin:
Driven, focused, and passionate about helping attorneys reach their full potential, Steve Fretzin is regarded as the premier coach, skills trainer, and keynote speaker on business development for attorneys.
Over the past 17 years, Steve Fretzin has devoted his career to helping lawyers master the art of business development to achieve their business goals and the peace of mind that comes with developing a successful law practice.
In addition to writing four books on legal marketing and business development, Steve has a highly-rated podcast BE THAT LAWYER and has been featured in the Chicago Tribune, Crain’s, and Entrepreneur.com. He has appeared on NBC News, WGN Radio and has written articles for Attorney at Law Magazine, the National Law Review, the American Bar Association, and the Illinois State Bar Association. You can also find his monthly column in the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin.
Connect with Steve:
Connect with Alay Yajnik:
One Page Strategic Plan: LawFirmSuccessGroup.com