In this episode, Alay and Dominic discuss:
- Patterns of success in new law firms.
- Planning, preparing, and remaining flexible for the unknown.
- The mindset of starting and growing a law firm.
- Hiring as a skill.
- Before you start your firm, plan in advance, understand your path, and have everything lined up and ready to go before you say go.
- You do not have to reinvent the wheel when creating your own law firm – use something like the Ultimate Law Firm Startup Checklist to help you out!
- Have a goal or destination in mind before you start your firm. Plan, break down the goal, and then track the steps to reaching that goal.
- As the lawyer and law firm owner, you cannot do everything if you wish for your firm to grow. You need to be able to bring in the right people (staff and/or associates) to help with the growth.
- “One of the key things or differentiators is really taking the time to plan the setup and establishment of your firm.” — Dominic Grew
- “Discipline, over time, compounds, just like compound interest. Discipline is slow but steady. And when you look back on the year of what you’ve accomplished, it’s incredible.” — Dominic Grew
- “That skill of being able to find those support people or associates who are around you, who can help you work together to deliver is huge. It’s not all on you.” — Dominic Grew
- “Starting your own firm is an adventure. And adventures are not boring. The reason they’re not boring is because there is stress, there is fear, there are difficult times, there are things that you need to overcome. And it’s an exciting journey and incredibly rewarding.” — Alay Yajnik
Ultimate Law Firm Startup Checklist:
About Dominic Grew:
Dominic “Dom” Grew is an expert in business management and business development. As a Certified Practice Advisor and former Chief Operating Officer for Global Business Development, Dom brings over 25 years of business development and operational experience. He knows how to balance the operational and strategic components of running a growing business. Dom gives attorneys clarity on the results they want from their practice, then teaches them how they can get those results faster.
Areas of Expertise:
Dom holds a Master’s in Management from Cambridge College (MA).
He lives in Massachusetts with his wife and three children. Dom loves the great outdoors and is actively involved in The Boy Scouts of America.
Connect with Dominic Grew:
Connect with Alay Yajnik:
One Page Strategic Plan: LawFirmSuccessGroup.com