In this episode, Alay and Janice discuss:
- How to work with your competition for mutual benefit.
- Building your resources by checking your ego at the door.
- The need for great lawyers to specialize creates opportunities for referral relationships.
- You cannot be everything to everyone. Your best sources of referrals can be other attorneys that do the same thing that you do.
- It is okay to have people doing the same thing that you do – and this applies to all disciplines, not just law.
- Because you’re an expert in your field, you can very quickly figure out if someone else is an expert in theirs.
- Do the best that you can for your client because client results are how you thrive and do business.
- “There are our colleagues who are business transactional lawyers as well. I don’t look at them as competition, I look at them as a resource that I’m able to assist my clients to provide the best service possible. ” — Janice Miller
- “You want to make sure that your referral sources are top notch.” — Janice Miller
- “Do your homework on this person: how long they’ve been in practice, looking at their testimonials, or asking people who you have in common if they’ve worked with them and what their experience has been. ” — Alay Yajnik
- “Oftentimes, when we look at attorneys’ sources of referrals, their best sources of referrals are other attorneys that do the thing that they do.” — Alay Yajnik
About Janice Miller:
Janice Miller is the managing partner of Miller Haga and is a highly-recognized legal expert with over 25 years of experience as an innovative general counsel. She represents the firm’s clients in business transactions, real estate leasing, entertainment, intellectual property, licensing, hospitality and the emerging legal field of unmanned aerial systems (“drones”). The firm’s clients have come to rely on Janice’s insightful dispute resolution strategies as a preventive measure to avoid litigation. She is a noted speaker and panelist at conferences relating to location-based entertainment venues, theme park legislation, real estate and leasing, intellectual property and licensing, and drones.
Janice is the author of Coopertition (the notion that competitors can work together cooperatively for the benefit of their clients). She serves as a strategic legal partner and business advisor, providing the firm’s clients with pragmatic, cost–effective legal and business solutions that minimize risk and maximize profits.
Connect with Janice Miller:
Connect with Alay Yajnik:
One Page Strategic Plan: LawFirmSuccessGroup.com